Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Le Road to Self Discovery: Individualism


I have learned a lot about myself this past year. One thing is that I am an individualist. Many people have told me that in the past, however it didn't become truely evident until an incident this past Sunday.

I was in a car with three other people and we were listening to the radio. I was falling in and out of sleep when the first few bars of "Victims" from Culture Club came on. I got very excited and began singing the song to myself quietly, letting nothing stop me from enjoying it. Not even when I realized that the radio station was playing a completely different song. I just kept on going, despite sideway glances from other passangers in the car.

Four people in the car, three of them gently humming David Bowie and one of them engaged in a heart-felt balad with Boy George. Individualism. It doesn't get more obvious than that.

PS
Before you judge me, give me a minute. Put yourself in a restless state of mind, where you feel hungry for something but don't know what. Something is missing, it's within your reach, if only you could put your finger on it. Now close your eyes and listen to Boy George's beautiful (yes, beautiful) voice and the words to this song.

Do you feel it too?



PSS
Boy George is giving a concert of his 80s music in the US!!! I wonder if he'll remember me from the last time we met.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susanne said...

You know, you might not be as crazy as you might think. There are many, many songs with similar chords out there, and so they are like the same song with different melodies. I don't know the two songs you refer to, though (and I never watch youtube videos on blogs, sorry, I know I'm weird.)

I have resigned myself to being eccentric long ago but I still marvel at how weird my own normality appears to most people.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Sabrina said...

Me too! Especially when it's people I've known for a long time. You would think that after a while, they would catch on to the fact that we are just different.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home