Monday, April 21, 2008

Le Brain Slap


Jabba, bearing a remarkable resemblance to my brain.

I ran away from mediation class a couple of weeks ago, after my brain attempted to slap me. I've been attended the Kagyu Dzamling Kunchab Tibetan Buddhist Center in New York City and this was my third class. It had been going well until this moment, when I was sitting there trying to think of nothing, and had an aggressive urge to stand up and walk out dramatically. My brain would simply not shut off. In fact, it was as if we had the following conversation:

Me: Okay. Let's hang out, just you and me. No thoughts, no worries, no past, no present.
Brain (who looks a bit like Jabba the Hut) stares me in the eyes, a cigarette dangling from it's mouth (yes, my brain smokes. I was surprised too since my body quit the habit months ago).
Brain: What, are you kidding me?
Brain pulls cigarette out of its mouth and slaps me with that hand. Ashes spill everywhere into cosmic spiritual space. I pray none of it gets on the other meditators in the room).

I didn't quite know what to do, it's not a situation I've ever been in before. So when the session ended and everyone mingled over cookies, I put my shoes back on and ran away. I went to Barnes and Nobles Bookstore and hid in the photography section behind tall book shelves, where meditation couldn't find me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Susanne said...

So, are you going back for another lesson? You should. My brain always tells me that meditation is boring and wants nothing to do with it but you can stay seated and wait.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Sabrina said...

Yep, I've been back since and learned new techniques. Apparently your brain rebels at first since it is used to being in control, but once you break through that it's awesome.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Emmy Horstkamp said...

HA!

I know what you are talking about.. my brain is always getting in the way.

I took the teaching of Buddha from my hotel room in Thailand and have been reading it for the last few days... I am trying to find more insight into my issues with cirlces (family cirlces, life circles) So far it says that the circle is desire, action and consequence.

They are opening a buddhist center outside of Munich, it looks like a really cool place to go visit when you go back for your occasional visit.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Sabrina said...

That's so interesting (and relevant to me at the moment)...does that mean we have to reason with our desires in order to avoid cycles?

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home