Monday, February 09, 2009

Le Standing Still in the City That Never Sleeps


Traffic

I recently realized that every since I moved to New York City, I have been pursuing something. Whether it was employment, an apartment, a drivers license, new friends or whatever, I was always on the go. I worked so hard to move to the city, and haven't even had the chance to enjoy it. So I decided it was time to stop the never-ending pursuit of perfection, and just live for a while.

I started off by sleeping a ton. I was sooo exhausted from all the stress of moving here and you can't really enjoy anything fully if you are always tired. Therefore I make my bed every morning so that each evening, I can rest my head in a comfortable and clean environment. I keep my apartment clean so that every night I come home and my mind can rest too. I only do things I want to do. If I want to go home at 10 and go to bed, I do so. I have removed all the social pressure to go out and act like I am still 22. Instead, I enjoy take out Chinese food while catching up on TV shows. Similarly, I have been spending quality time with my few friends in the city, and enjoying meaningful chatter over coffee. And I don't worry about losing weight, and just eat what I feel like eating, which in return, means that I have stopped overeating since I am not stressing out anymore.

Today, I went to the movies alone for the first time in my life. I was looking forward to the date with me. I went to see Man's Castle, a romantic movie from 1933. I took myself out for a delicious breakfast (which included Nutella), and walked around Soho admiring all the little shops and basking in the sun.

And now I am ending my day in my pajamas, drinking tea and blogging, not because I have to but because I want to. I am happy since the joy of writing has returned, now that I decided to stop and smell the roses.

Love,
Breens

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds so great, a perfect recipe for recovery. Take care!

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home