Friday, July 13, 2007

Le Walt's View of Crossing Brooklyn

Brooklyn Bridge, lithograph by Currier and Ives, 1883

Walt Whitman, one of America's greatest poets, lived and grew up in Brooklyn. Here is what he has to say about crossing over from Brooklyn to Manhattan in his amazing masterpiece Crossing Brooklyn Ferry. I guess like me, he also like to write on public transportation. I love that he looks forward to future generations. Guess he knew I was going to come here one day and admire what he admired *flick hair*. All jokes aside, enjoy the excerpts of his poem.


Crossing Brooklyn Ferry
by Walt Whitman
(1819-1892)


1
Flood-tide below me! I see you face to face!
Clouds of the west--sun there half an hour high--I see you also face
to face.
Crowds of men and women attired in the usual costumes, how curious
you are to me!
On the ferry-boats the hundreds and hundreds that cross, returning
home, are more curious to me than you suppose,
And you that shall cross from shore to shore years hence are more
to me, and more in my meditations, than you might suppose.

2
The impalpable sustenance of me from all things at all hours of the day,
The simple, compact, well-join'd scheme, myself disintegrated, every
one disintegrated yet part of the scheme,
The similitudes of the past and those of the future,
The glories strung like beads on my smallest sights and hearings, on
the walk in the street and the passage over the river,
The current rushing so swiftly and swimming with me far away,
The others that are to follow me, the ties between me and them,
The certainty of others, the life, love, sight, hearing of others.

Others will enter the gates of the ferry and cross from shore to shore,
Others will watch the run of the flood-tide,
Others will see the shipping of Manhattan north and west, and the
heights of Brooklyn to the south and east,
Others will see the islands large and small;
Fifty years hence, others will see them as they cross, the sun half
an hour high,
A hundred years hence, or ever so many hundred years hence, others
will see them,
Will enjoy the sunset, the pouring-in of the flood-tide, the
falling-back to the sea of the ebb-tide.

3
It avails not, time nor place--distance avails not,
I am with you, you men and women of a generation, or ever so many
generations hence,
Just as you feel when you look on the river and sky, so I felt,
Just as any of you is one of a living crowd, I was one of a crowd,
Just as you are refresh'd by the gladness of the river and the
bright flow, I was refresh'd,
Just as you stand and lean on the rail, yet hurry with the swift
current, I stood yet was hurried,
Just as you look on the numberless masts of ships and the
thick-stemm'd pipes of steamboats, I look'd.

For the rest of the poem please go to: http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/wwhitman/bl-ww-crossing.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home